Sunday, February 20, 2011

Day 10

Day number 10. Hmmm.. Has my way of thinking really changed? I just woke up yesterday morning with cramps. I didn't know that dropping one bc pill could cause mega cramps and starting 5 days early. But look likes I was wrong. Ouch. . So, I just had to have that nonfat carmel latte and everything bagel, which they were out of, so I had a blueberry bagel instead. I mean, I HAD to have it. Yes, it was one of those mornings, but did I  really need it? No. Did I really have to have it? No. The weekend didn't get any better after that. Let's just say it was pretty much a no-exercise-carb-fest. Black buggy for lunch yesterday. Chicken dinners at my parents. Girl Scout Cookies. Pancakes. Then a birthday dinner of lasagna, garlic bread, and Red Velvet cake, oh and salad.. But I couldn't give up any of those things, because it was my birthday dinner. Right?


Anyway, today was a very good day..despite the carby feeling. I spent the weekend at my parents house with Josh. Last night mom, dad, and I watched Life As We Knew It. Today we went to church. Then the family came over for my birthday dinner. (Grammy and Grandpa, Peggy and Floyd, Macy & Moses) It was a very pleasant day (minus the overflowing toilet, but we won't go there. :))


Today's topic is exercise. This is the thought for the day, "I fully realize that my body as a temple may not be God’s most grand dwelling. However, I want to lift up to the Lord my willingness to dedicate my exercise as a gift to Him and myself. This one act un-divides my heart and reminds me of the deeper purposes for moving my body."



Lysa says, An undivided heart. My heart was divided between exercising for another person’s reasons or finding my own motivation. I’ve found that when it comes to my body, which 1 Corinthians 6:19 calls “a temple of the Holy Spirit,” that I can’t live with divided loyalties. I can either be loyal to honoring the Lord, my husband, and my body, or be loyal to my cravings, desires, and excuses for not exercising.

An Old Testament story in Haggai struck me with the problem that a divided heart creates before God. The Israelites were charged to take care of God’s physical temple by rebuilding the actual structure. But just like most of us, they struggled with a heart divided by concerns about the everyday needs of their city and homes. And so God’s people neglected building the temple for ten years. Each year, something else seemed to be more important.

I personally do love working out, but at times I still feel myself being torn, pulled in to doing other things instead. Even when I have the day off, sometimes I still feel like there are not enough hours in the day . . . I have been pretty good about working out, but sometimes I feel like I am working out just to make up for unhealthy foods that I've eaten instead of to glorifying God.

Just as God promised the Israelites blessings for obedience, he warned them of consequences for not rebuilding the temple as He desired. And while we may not feel the effects of ignoring our health immediately, our choices will eventually catch up to us.

I finally admitted that I needed to make time, just like the Israelites, to care for my temple—my body. Each day of working out makes me feel better, stronger. When I am done with an early morning workout, it makes me feel like I can do anything with God's helped. Especially when he gets me through a specially hard workout that I absolutely did not want to do---but I did it with God's.

I fully realize that my temple may not be God’s most grand dwelling. However, I want to lift up my willingness to the Lord and dedicate my exercise as a gift to Him and myself. This one act un-divides my heart and reminds me of the deeper purposes for moving my body. How might you start rebuilding your temple today? Maybe running is not your thing. No problem. I say the best exercise for you is the kind you’ll do.

No comments:

Post a Comment